Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Change the way you think


“If you don't like something - change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.” Mary Engelbreit

A perfect quote to sum up my feelings about finding Sky Watch Friday.


Now I have a reason to look up more often, not just seeing the sky but framing up beautiful or interesting scenes to share. Link to Sky Watch Friday participants from around the globe.


Some of the other forms of mixed media I like to play with include ATCs, Inchies & Moos. If you have not tried them before they are great fun and quick because they are so small. Here is a bit of background on what they are all about.

ATCs are Artist Trading Cards and as the name indicates, ATCs are tiny collectable pieces of art with a fascinating history.

The legend is that ATCs span back thousands of years and were traded between artists as a sample of their style & techniques. Almost like a business card for artists, with art on one side and contact details on the back.

More recently a Swiss artist M. Vanci Stirnemann created a show based on ATCs in 1997 and started a trading session in Calgary Canada.

Now we have all kinds of other variations in Moos (smaller than a ATC) and Inchies (tiny 1 inch squares) and Trinchies (3 inch squares of art)

Stamps courtesy of Amazing Arts & All About Paper. Mixed Media Monday is hosting a challenge on Trinchies in all kinds of different styles.

33 comments:

Penny said...

Such a beautiful, serene picture and such a true quote too.

Anonymous said...

Oh - I love that quote! I've had it written in my inspirational quote book for quite some time - it's so perfectly stated!

Love your Sky Watch contribution for this week too - so peaceful and serene!

Rambling Woods said...

I think this is my first visit..Beautiful photo..
Rambling Woods

EG CameraGirl said...

The sky is lovely and so is the quote.

Pretty Life Online said...

Great one for SWF! If someone were to think that trees are made to support the sky, they would all seem too short.... mine's up too hope you can drop by.... Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful blues. The water looks so calm and clear. Very nice, serene looking place.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Pearl: What a great lake and Sky shot.

Gemma Wiseman said...

A stunning meeting of blue meets blue!

Kahshe Cottager said...

A lovely skywatch Mandy!

Have a wonderful weekend of beautiful skies!
My Sky Watch Photos Here and Here

Anonymous said...

What a picturesque sight! I love your picture!

Hope you can hop by my SWF photos in these blogs:
Jenn Was Here
Shutter Happenings

Thanks! Happy Friday!

Jane Hards Photography said...

It is so serene, and so blue.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Beautiful Mandy!
Enjoy your weekend.

Jeanne said...

I'e always enjoyed taking an upward view and SWF is a great outlet for that. Plus there's so many talented people here. Beautiful shot and quote.

Tom said...

You framed this one perfectly.. it's a delightful view for sure..

Forgive this Copy and Paste part of my comment but I wanted you to know that your link works fine and you post is appreciated.. Thank you for joining in with the fun of Sky Watch this week.
Tom :O)

esnorway said...

great shoot have nice weekend

Kelly said...

Beautiful picture and quote!

Lily said...

You always make me smile on friday! thanks and big hugs

Catherine said...

Beautiful skywatch capture...and great quote!
Happy sky~watching!
Cat

Louise said...

Nicely framed, and a good choice of what to photograph!

Brenda said...

You've certainly chosen a lovely one to share this week. So serene.

Gayle said...

Such a perfect sky over beautiful water! Thanks for visiting me.

Fish Whisperer said...

Very cool art work I like the altered book. Great sky for sky watch. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Cheers

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Thank you for stopping by. We love the Wooli area and have spend happy times, still do when ever possible. Your art is beautiful, I didn't know about the art of altered books. Learned something new! I knew about postal art, it is quite appealing. I was always attracted to miniature paintings.) Your SWF is a lovely, serene photo and a beautiful quote, love that too.

Lori said...

what a beautiful piece of sky:)

Dewdrop said...

Great SWF contribution! It is a great shot... beautifully composed!

Femmy said...

fabulous!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

I like how you used all the pieces as a set in the book. Wonder idea--lovely work.

Lucy Edson said...

Beautiful altered pages!

Dawn said...

Beautiful scene and such a great quote

Char said...

The Twinchie is really cute. Love the butterflys.

Sharon said...

What a beautiful view. And your mixed media piece is stunning - I love the butterflies. You are really creative.

Sharon

P.S. The piece that you did for me (for the mermaid swap)now adorns the wall above my work computer and draws many compliments.

Unknown said...

I love both of these! The sky and quote are perfect! The info on the ATC's is fascinating! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The mixed media is beautiful !!! I love it !!!